Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

tn/ky trip part 3: memphis

Our next stop was Memphis! We hadn't been back since I was pregnant with Elle so I really wanted to catch up with friends and show Elle where we lived. We stayed with the Blands, who are some of the greatest people you could ever meet. Dr. Bland was Chris' professor at HUGSR and Nancy got me my job at Oak. We worked together for 3 years. It was wonderful to see her with our kids and for then to get to know the Blands. We didn't get to spend much time with Dr. Bland because he was teaching a short course, but we also got to meet Nancy's grandkids who came along right after we left. Elle had the best time playing with Benson, Sloane, and Blake Leigh. I even got to catch up with another friend, Lindsay, that I taught with. Thank you Blands for hosting us!


We took the kids to the Memphis Zoo. Still one of my favorites! They had expanded since we had lived there so the Teton area was new to me and Chris as well. It was beautiful! The highlights of this zoo were seeing the polar and panda bears.




 I couldn't believe this sign was still there and just needed a pic. One of my kindergarten babies drew this 7 years ago when they were getting ready to open the Northwest Passage where the polar bears are.  I realized that class will be going into 7th grade this year! Wish I could have seen some of them, but I have no idea where they all are now. (Yes, Todd is knocked out!)


This zoo has an egyptian theme for the opening because there's also a Memphis in Egypt. They have a nice water area to play in so Elle and Chris waded around for a bit.

Next, we stopped by HUGSR. The mansion, grounds, and apartments still look the same! We got to see some old professors and neighbors. And, for you HUGSR folks I even got a glimpse of the Cec! So many memories came flooding back from our first 3 years. Elle like running around the grounds and we had to get a quick swing. We knocked on the door of our old apartment, but no one was home.




I fully expected to arrive in The Muggy when we got the Memphis, but we had great weather. Going back reminded me how much we need to make a regular visit. We didn't get nearly enough time to really look around. And, I steered clear from the Pottery Barn Outlet since we were flying. Hopefully, we can go back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment