I recently finished reading "Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture" by Peggy Orenstein. Overall, I was glad I read the book. I don't agree with some of the things she says, but she has some interesting points and information about toys, websites, etc that are targeted for girls. I checked out the book from the library, but I will probably buy the book to have as a media literacy resource and because it has some good suggestions for when Elle is older. Here are some of my thoughts:
*I am going to be more conscious of the toys, movies, etc. that Elle plays with, especially considering the background and age they are meant for. For example, Barbies are out for a long time. Not that she's interested in them now, and I have fond memories of my time with Barbie, but they are being pushed toward a younger audience and she has less ambition that she used to so I'd rather wait.
*I think Elle has to be who she is, and if that's more girlie that's fine, but I want her to be smart about the choices she makes.
*I am scared to death of Elle having anything to do with the internet, especially social networking.
*I want her to know that her mom's favorite colors are pink and navy and that she can like any color, even brown like her daddy.
*I want her to develop healthy relationships with boys.
*I want to encourage Elle to do whatever she wants, but to also embrace her femininity (And I don't mean be a feminist.)
I'm sure there were other thoughts, but I don't have the book in front of me now. If you have a girl I would recommend at least looking at the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment