Why do I care about media litearcy?
*We're bombarded by media images everyday from all kinds of sources TV, movies, magazines, billboards, score boards, radio, t-shirts, etc.
*I don't want my children, or anyone else, getting wrong information from one of these sources.
*It's important to be able to think critically about messages that you hear and see. You should be able to read between the lines.
*I don't want someone else telling me what's pretty, cool, good, healthy, right, Christian, etc.
*I want to have skills to succeed in the 21st century.
*I want students and my children to have the skills to succeed in the 21st century.
*I want people to quit sending me email forwards because they believe everything they say.
Here's a quiz to find out how media literate you are:
http://clpmag.org/quiz.php
I got a 70%, which I think is because I don't follow any news source most of the time. I hear the major stuff, but don't follow the rest of the story and do my own research enough sometimes to make an educated opinion. Need to work on that. Would love to hear how you do!
I'm the thin child with glasses who listens to NPR. I got a 100, but three of the answers were sort of guesses.
ReplyDeleteHope your hip's doing ok...
rv