We got a little break from the students during Thanksgiving when they were gone for a week. Before they left a student asked Chris if the cafeteria was open while they were gone. Chris said no. The student then asked in all seriousness: "How do you eat?" We have realized that a lot of the students don't fully appreciate that this is our home. Not just temporary. Mops had a set back not having any kids around for a week so I'm a little worried about how she'll be after they're gone for 2 1/2 weeks. The kids are in the midst of finals. They started on Friday and have two a day until Wednesday. Chris had to give his final on Saturday morning, but so far he hasn't heard any complaints. They also don't have finals today (Sunday) so I guess they get a little break. I think it's a pretty rough week, but the parents and school provide snacks in the evenings to try and keep their spirits up. They've also been turning on the fire places in the great hall, which makes it feel warm and cozy. We had a little party last Tuesday for our floor. The pic is of the tile/coasters I made for the girls. The difficult part about being here is the fact that this is a public school and being sensitive to the fact that many of the kids may not celebrate Christmas. We've loved being in OKC this year for Christmas! The lights around the city, the BC Clark song, and cooler temps make it seem so festive. We are so excited about Christmas with Elle this year. She's been helping me wrap presents, by being in charge of the tape. Most of it gets in the right spot. Seems so funny to think last year she could walk or talk at this time. We hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas! I'm going to end this post with a section from one of the Little House on the Prairie books, which I think is really nice.
"Do you know what Pa wants for Christmas?" They did not know. "Horses," Ma said. "Would you girls like horses?" Laura and Mary looked at each other. "I only thought," Ma went on, "if we all wished for horses, and nothing but horses, then maybe--"Laura felt queer. Horses were everyday; they were not Christmas. If Pa got horses, he would trade for them. Laura could not think of Santa Claus and horses at the same time. "Ma!" she cried. "There is a Santa Claus, isn't there?" Of course there's a Santa Claus," said Ma. She set the iron on the stove to heat again. "The older you are, the more you about Santa Claus," she said. "You are so big now, you know he can't be just one man, don't you? You know he is everywhere on Christmas Eve. He is in the Big Woods, and Indian Territory, and far away in York State, and here. He comes down all the chimneys at the same time. You know that don't you?" "Yes, Ma," said Mary and Laura...Then Ma told them something else about Santa Claus. He was everywhere, and besides that, he was all the time. Whenever anyone was unselfish that was Santa Claus. Christmas Eve was the time when everybody was unselfish. On that one night, Santa Claus was everywhere, because everybody, all together, stopped being selfish and wanted other people to be happy. And in the morning you saw what that had done. "If everybody wanted everybody else to be happy, all the time, then would it be Christmas all the time?" Laura asked, and Ma said, "Yes, Laura." (Laura Ingalls Wilder, On the Banks of Plum Creek)
The Little House excerpt is gorgeous. Because it's true.
ReplyDeleteYesterday I was trying to imagine the difference between this year and last year for Elle. I'm guessing she has plenty of ideas that this is a different season. Do you think she has an idea of what a gift is?
Merry Christmas -- I'm thinking about you constantly!
RV
Merry Christmas! First...love the post title! I have a John Denver and the Muppets Christmas CD, and Miss Piggy sings this song. It cracks me up every time. Second, I can't wait to hear the BC Clark jingle. Its absence, plus the 75+ degree temperature expected today makes it feel less than Christmasy (Is that a word?) here. We sure do miss you guys! Give Chris and Elle a big hug for me!
ReplyDeleteRV- I've also been thinking about Elle's first Christmas and realized she couldn't walk or talk last year! She knows what the presents are and has helped me "wrap", but not sure she actually gets the concept. Probably next year.
ReplyDeleteGena- We've got the CD too and why that song was in my head. I also love the piggy pudding/bacon song. We are planning to be in Waco mid-January so if we don't get to see you before then I hope we get together while we're there. We miss you all too!